Long Island Domestic Partnership Attorney
Protecting the rights of same-sex couples
Because same-sex marriage, domestic partnerships and civil unions are not universally recognized, you may have questions about the limitations and advantages associated with these statuses. Long Island domestic partnership lawyer Elan Wurtzel has almost three decades of family law experience and can advise you on issues involving:
- New York same-sex marriages
- Transfer of rights from other states
- Protection of rights if traveling to another state
Legal tools for same-sex couples
Marriages between same-sex partners became legal in New York on July 24, 2011. However, if you travel to another state that does not recognize same-sex marriage or civil unions, you do not receive family law protection if you separate, if your partner dies or is hospitalized, or if your non-biological child becomes ill. Elan uses innovative, effective legal tools to protect your family, including:
- Power of attorney — A POA allows you to make crucial decisions and hospital visits if your partner or your non-biological child becomes incapacitated by illness or injury.
- Contractual assets agreements — Similar to a prenuptial agreement, a contract can protect your rights in case you and your partner separate.
- Last will and testament — A well-drafted last will and testament ensures that your intentions are honored and that property is appropriately distributed to your partner upon your death.
- Real estate ownership — Property owned in states that recognize same-sex marriage can be held as tenants by the entirety, which automatically confers ownership to your spouse upon your death. You have the option to deed property located in states that do not recognize this legal status as joint tenants with right of survivorship.
Learn more from an experienced Long Island domestic partnership lawyer
For the quality representation you need and the respect, compassion and attention you deserve, call New York family law attorney Elan Wurtzel, serving clients throughout Long Island, Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx. Call Elan at 516.822.7866 or toll-free at 800.972.8144 or contact the law firm online to schedule your free case review and consultation.